One of the most misunderstood and confused the concept is a difference between Grounding and Earthing.
There is no major difference between earthing and Grounding, both means Connecting an electrical circuit or device to the Earth.
Purpose of Grounding and Earthing:
- This serves various purposes like to drain away unwanted currents, to provide a reference voltage for circuits needing one, to lead lightning away from the delicate equipment.
- Even though there is a micro difference between grounding & earthing.
- In this article, we will go to learn the difference between earthing and Grounding.
- The Neutral and Ground are generally connected together at your service panel, not at your devices
- Earthing means connecting the dead part (the one which does not carry current under normal condition) to the earth.
For example electrical equipment frames etc.
- Grounding means connecting the live part (the one which carries current under normal condition) to the ground.
- For example neutral of the transformer, 3- phase star connection etc.Earthing work in under fault condition these parts may attain high potential earth.
- so any living being touching these parts will be subjected to the potential difference which may result in a flow of current of such a value which may prove to be fatal.
- Grounding is done for the protection of power system equipment and to provide an effective return path from the machine to the power source.
- Earthing is to ensure safety or protection of electrical equipment and living being by
discharging electrical energy to earth.
- During lightening dangerous high voltage can develop in the electrical distribution system wires.
- Grounding provides a safe return path around the electrical system of your house thus minimizing damage from such occurrences.